Amazon

Monday, March 26, 2012

CATFISH BAIT


CATFISH BAIT

Once back before the dinosaurs got put under
And I was young enough to make my own thunder
I spent the summer with some cousins of mine
In the heat of the day a swim sounded sublime
If our parents knew where, they'd have a fit
Because we went to the "bottomless" strip pit
Now this was silly cause how could that be
How could it hold water,seemed simple to me
Took a rod and reel,all the line we could get
You know, we never have found the bottom yet
But we were young and just about half redneck
The place looked fun so we said what the heck
Only way to get in and out was a 10 ft bluff
Fine to dive in,getting out was a little tuff
A cable stretched across,we took it in stride
We dove in and then climbed the cable topside
Been there awhile, my last dive for this time
I was in the water,holding the cable to climb
Something hit,knocked me plumb over the cable
Settin'a record for cable climbin',I was able
Once on the bank we saw the marks on my chest
We decided the "no swimming signs" knew best
Teeth marks went all across,I guess no harm
But what if it had got hold of a leg or an arm
Don't matter if the pit had a bottom or not
The size of that fish just cannot be forgot
Now nobody swims in there to this very day
And I'm real glad I'm the one that got away

No comments:

Post a Comment